Ubuntu server port access issues

Tailscale version: 1.28.0
Your operating system & version: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (Focal Fossa)

I just installed Tailscale today on my linux Ubuntu server and was trying to access a web application through my tailscale ip, but it has given me nothing but trouble.

I have a web app that runs on port 8080, so when I am on my local network I can access it no problem through 192.x.y.z:8080. I want to have access to that when I’m not at home though, so I setup Tailscale to access it. I installed Tailscale and am able to ssh into the server through the 100.x.y.z Tailscale ip so I thought I would be all good, but then when I tried to access the web app from 100.x.y.z:8080, it wouldn’t load at all.

I port scanned my server’s local 192.x.y.z and got 4 open ports (including 8080), but when I port scan the server’s Tailscale 100.x.y.z, all I get is the ssh :22 port as open. As far as I can tell I don’t have any active firewall. I checked to see if I could access the same web app hosted on my arch linux desktop, and I could access that no problem through Tailscale.

At this point I can’t find anything helpful in the forum or the documentation for this, so now I’m posting here in the forums in hopes that someone might be able to help me out here. Any help would be appreciated to figure out what’s going wrong.

1 Like

I have an almost identical issue.
qBitorrent’s web UI is on 8080 and I can’t load it using tailscale no matter what. it’s accessible on the machine’s “real” IP just not the tailscale one.

Have you found out what’s wrong ?

Nope, sorry. I wish I knew what was going on. Let me know if you find anything

Exactly the same issue here. qBittorrent port 8080. All the other applications on different ports work fine. I suspect changing qBittorrent’s port will solve it.