Subnet routing via a macOS machine

I have three machines, let’s call them A (a 3d printer), B (a mac mini), and C (a mac laptop).

A, the 3D printer, cannot have tailscale installed on it. It’s connected via an ethernet cable to B, and has the local IP 192.168.2.2 assigned to it by B. I can access it from that machine on that IP address just fine.

B and C both have tailscale installed, and can route to each other just fine. Both B and C have tailscale installed via the mac App Store.

I’ve reviewed Subnet routers and traffic relay nodes · Tailscale a couple of times, and ran the following on B: /Applications/Tailscale.app/Contents/MacOS/Tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.2.2/32, subsequently approving the subnet-routes prompt in the tailscale UI. 192.168.2.2/32 is listed as a subnet route on the dashboard.

I can’t figure out what that’s actually done for me, though. If I attempt to ping 192.168.2.2 from C, it just times out, presumably because C is looking for that IP over the local network, not over the vpn. I don’t have quite enough networking knowledge to get much further than this.