Question about direct connections and realying

Hi there,

I just read this article: What firewall ports should I open to use Tailscale? - Tailscale which is helpful but goes on to explains what * means in the output of tailscale status and when I run that command, I see the expected outcome listing my NAS, Macbook and phone but in the whole output there isn’t a single * so I am wondering what this means?

For understanding the tailscale status command output please refer to the “Tailscale CLI - Tailscale”.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

I have more questions. That link is even less helpful, all it says regarding asterisks is:

Asterisks around an endpoint IP or relay code indicate an active connection .

My initial link at least had more to say:

In this table, asterisks in the right-most columns indicate active connections. Asterisks around IP addresses are peer-to-peer connections, whereas asterisks around city codes (e.g. nyc, sfo, fra, tok) indicate that connection is happening through one of our relays

So let me be more specific with my questions:

• what does it mean if there is no asterisk in the right-most column? I assume it means the connection is inactive?
  • what does it mean if there is no asterisk around an IP?
  • what does it mean if there is no asterisk around a city code?

Thanks for having a look at my questions.

* what does it mean if there is no asterisk in the right-most column? I assume it means the connection is inactive?

Yes, That means the connection is not active at the moment (not in use).

* what does it mean if there is no asterisk around an IP?

No asterisk means no connections are active.

* what does it mean if there is no asterisk around a city code?
[/quote]

The connection is through derp server.

Thanks,

1 Like