2 remote network location via Subnet routers (newbee)

Hi first post here :slight_smile:

I have 2 remote locations.

Site 1 has Windows 10 computer with Tailscale on it. Subnet is 10.0.0.x
Site 2 also has Windows 10 computer with Tailscale on it. Subnet is 192.168.2.x

Site 1 Windows 10 Computer (with Tailscale on it) needs to communicate with a device located at Site 2. This device cannot have Tailscale installed

This device at Site 2 need also to see/communicate with the Windows 10 Computer on Site 1 (Tailscale installed).

Site 1 I ran:
tailscale up --advertise-routes=10.0.0.0/24

Site 2 I ran:
tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.2.0/24

I approved all.

However thet do not seem to communicate with each other. Any clue?

I’m newbee.

Regards,

-Eric

Basically, dumb device (192.168.2.50) inside Site 2 (192.168.2.0/24) needs to see the server at Site 1 (10.0.0.0/24) which has TailScale installed.

192.168.2.50 (Dumb device) <----- LAN -----> 192.168.2.0/24 (Tailscale) <----- Internet -----> 10.0.0.0/24 (Tailscale/Server for device)

Maybe I do not need to add a subnet route at Site 1?

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is that your ‘dumb’ device can’t see the Tailscale network, so it has no access to the subnet routers.

It may work if you are able to install Tailscale directly on your router. I have it installed on my Ubiquity ER4 at home, and it will route devices that don’t have Tailscale into my Tailnet, so in theory, that would work for you as well. You would want the router on the 192.168.2.0/24 side. You would only need a subnet router on the 10.0.0.0/24 side.

Should work if you have access to do that.

Thanks for responding.

So no go for just a software config? I will evaluate on a real router setup then.

Thanks again.

I’m by no means an expert, but I can’t think of a way to make it work.

As I look at what you want again, I think I am doing the same thing. I have a Media Server on a remote site that has Tailscale installed on it. At home, I use a dumb device that needs to access that server, and it works just fine with Tailscale on my router.

I don’t even think you will need a subnet router in your case. Just the physical router with Tailscale installed at the 192.168 side. Then the dumb device can route into the tailnet and access the server with the servers Tailscale IP address.

Thanks a lot! I will check that option.

You need to add the static routes to 192.168.2.50 either in windows itself or on the router on the network 192.168.2.0/24. Example - 10.0.0.0/24 with a gateway of 192.168.2.x (whatever device tailscale is running in this subnet) and 100.64.0.0/10 with a gateway of 192.168.2.x. I would keep the option of --snat-subnet-routes=true unless you are adding static routes on both networks or else your router will try to send this traffic to the internet instead through tailscale. This article shows how to setup a site-to-site route. Site-to-site networking · Tailscale