Win 10 "Log In" button not doing anything

Windows 10 1607, Tailscale 1.8.3 - 1.8.5

After install, the “Log In” button does not pop up a browser window. The logs have lines like this:

{“logtail”: {“client_time”: “2021-05-20T20:57:40.342137-05:00”}, “text”: “ui: UI still alive.\n”}
{“logtail”: {“client_time”: “2021-05-20T20:57:42.2041477-05:00”}, “text”: “logtail: dial “log.tailscale.io:443” failed: dial tcp 34.210.105.16:443: connectex: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. (in 21.004s)\n”}

I tried running “tailscale.exe up –authkey xxxxxxxxxx” as well - it seems to hang.

Hoping there are workarounds or additional diagnostics I can try. . .

Hello,

We have tested this on 12.8.5, and it works fine for us; for dig into the issue, can you please email your domain and Tailscale IP of your node to support@tailscale.com so we can review the log.

I am having this exact same issue on a Windows 10 21H1 machine. Was this ever resolved for you @Customer?

Most likely this is because controlplane.tailscale.com, login.tailscale.com, or log.tailscale.io are unreachable or blocked.

If there are multiple network interfaces in the system but only some of them have connectivity to the Internet, it can also result in being unable to reach the control server.

@DGentry I have completely reset the network stack on the Windows 10 machine, it only has another single Ethernet NIC and yet still it is complaining it can’t communicate with the servers.

Upstream router/firewall isn’t blocking anything as I have turned off all security services. Even completely disabled the Windows Defender firewall as well.

Just to update this thread. My issue was caused by a GEO-IP filter in-place that was blocking access to Germany. login.tailscale.com is hosted behind a IP originating in Germany.

Run the command “tailscale web” in cmd and then opening the link on the cmd might solve the problem

@Planetarain Good, tip ! This way, I can see the Login web page, but clicking the button again does nothing. If I look at the HTML, there is no target associated with the button :confused: . Any other way to manually trigger the Login flow on the machine ?

P.S. I’m on MacOS, v1.24.2

1 Like

The same is happening on my end with the latest version of Tailscale, after working well for some time I started getting “Please restart tailscale service” but restarting the service did nothing so I uninstalled the software and deleted all the config files, rebooted and installed again only to get this now, clicking login does nothing, starting the web server and clicking the login button also does nothing.

Did you ever get this worked out? I’m having the exact same issue, it just all of the sudden started last week for no apparent reason.

I’m having the same issue.

Bump 1 to Tailscale developers if you can help on this issue.

Hey guys,
I’m having a similar type issue, and the root of it has been mentioned above. When trying to login, the login.tailscale.com address is resolving to an IP geographically located in Germany. I’m in the US, and both Sonicwall and Sophos firewalls are blocking this activity. This is possibly happening on other hardware or software based firewalls also. I’m not familiar with the overall layout of Tailscale hosting or servers, but, Tailscale, is it possible to have login authentication requests originating from an IP in the US directed to an IP address geographically located within the US. Even if this was setup as a VPN by Tailscale on their side so that the traffic endpoint appeared to be in the US, it could possibly offer a workaround for the issue.

1 Like

I have the same problem except that it was Server 2019 and not windows 10. Also it seems that Tailscale didn’t like the virtual network interface from Hyper-V.