Troubleshooting 4via6 subnet routing connectivity

I have 2 nodes connected to Tailscale:

1. Subnet router to my home network / “Router” (not an actual router, just a VM that has access to all the services I’d like to access from Client through Router)
  2. My personal computer / “Client”

For testing purposes they are currently on the same local network, but I expect that should not create issues on it’s own.

I followed the subnet router docs and since the 192.168.1.1/24 range of my local network would otherwise be conflicting I was also happy to find docs mapping them through ipv6.

I picked a random ID=56:

❯ tailscale debug via 56 192.168.1.0/24
fd7a:115c:a1e0:b1a:0:38:c0a8:100/120

and reconfigured my Router and Client:

# Router
sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=fd7a:115c:a1e0:b1a:0:38:c0a8:100/120
# Client
sudo tailscale up --accept-routes

Then enabled the subnet routes in the web GUI.

Now, I would expect to be able to ping 192.168.1.200, but not actually able to

ping6 fd7a:115c:a1e0:b1a:0:c8:c0a8:1c8
# no answer
❯ host 192.168.1.200.via-56.barking-climb.ts.net
Host 192.168.1.200.via-56.barking-climb.ts.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

What else can I do to troubleshoot this?
Have I correctly understood the concept what “4via6” is supposed to do?

I originally posted it under “Support questions”, but threads consistently getting no traction there, I’m going to try again.

The reason for that might be because the support subforum is the only one that doesn’t appear in the new posts section. So you’d have to check that subforum manually from time to time to become aware of new posts.

Edit: Correction, what I meant is that the posts from the support category are the only ones that don’t appear in the ‘all categories’ view, therefore you have to not only check on ‘all categories’ to see everything, but also on the support category.

1 Like

OK, good to know.

Maybe change that or, especially since a lot of support stuff is posted uncategorized and under other categories anyway, remove that section altogether?

I’m still struggling with the issue though, if anyone has an idea.