Synology DSM7.0.1 not connecting to Tailscale

Tailscale version: 1.16.2-2013
Your operating system & version: Synology DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3

I have been using (and loving) tailscale connecting to my NAS while traveling but in the last couple of weeks I’m not able to.
I’m was able to see my NAS in the tailscale web interface but now it’s not connected, I did Temp Extend it’s key but this didn’t help.

I have uninstalled (rebooted) and reinstalled (rebooted) tailscale using the Synology interface but this didn’t help (still not able to see it in the web interface).
From my MAC and can Ping other tailscale IP addresses but not the Synology NAS.
To allow me access to the NAS I have turned on Synology Quick Connected (much less secure but I currently have no other options), but this also means I can’t open Tailscale within the Synology interface… as it shows me this error,

• “Sorry, this package cannot be accessed when connected via QuickConnect”
    I assume this means I’m not able to access the settings of tailscale.

Any assistance would be really appreciated as I would like to get back to using the VPN rather than a much less secure method to access, upload and backup etc.

Thanks,
Stuart.

1 Like

I’ve got a similar issue. I’m able to connect to my Synology box locally but can’t re-authenticate.

When I ssh to the server and try sudo tailscale up I get an error message saying;

failed to connect to local tailscaled (which appears to be running as tailscaled, pid 13755). Got error: Failed to connect to local Tailscale daemon for /localapi/v0/status; not running? Error: dial unix /var/packages/Tailscale/etc/tailscaled.sock: connect: connection refused

When I try and open the web interface from the DSM web interface another tab opens in my browser with an initial message about redirecting with a session token but then I get a Synology error page saying " Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found."

Any suggestions for how to re-authenticate will be much appreciated.

Tailscale version: 1.26.1-260017
O/S: Synology DSM 7.1-42661 Update 2

1 Like

Seems I have run across the same problem with not being able to authenticate tailscale from my Synology 1621 NAS. I have DSM 7.1-42261 Update 4 installed.

The steps I took in trying to resolve my problem were as follows.
I restarted the NAS, opened the tailscale application and tried logging in. When you select the “Log In” button, it goes nowhere.
I then removed the tailscale package and reinstalled it. Again no success in logging in from the application.
I removed the listing from the web portal, thinking that might be the problem, but again no success in loggin in.

If someone has a suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I’ll have to find another way to get in from outside.

I’m assuming something got broke when Synology’s updates were installed. This seems to happen with an update every now and then.

Thanks,
John

2 Likes

I have exactly the same problem as JohnH
I run DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 on a Synology nas 1618+

1. I uninstalled tailscale from .

2. Reinstalled it, but trying to login, it goes nowhere.

3. I removed the nas from the tailscale machine interface and did the 1 & 2 steps again but nothing improved.

4. I checked the nas firewall, and found nothing special.

5. I Suspected a problem with the router but having a 2nd synology nas, I have been able to install Tailscale and had not problem to login.

Anybody having an advice to solve that problem (same DSM version and nas model : 1618+) ?

Thanks a million.

Hello everybody,
I have just found this solution from dean4109 at:

and it worked fine.
I connect the nas via the link obtained with the SSH connection.