Network Connection Troubleshooting of Tailscale on Android with MagicDNS

It is a story that I was able to solve the trouble with Tailscale on Android by myself.

Until now, I’ve been using Tailscale on macOS and iOS without any problems, but when I started using Tailscale on Android 13 (Google Pixel 6a), when Tailscale became “Active”, other apps got network errors.

At first I thought it might be a bug, but after checking both the Tailscale forums and Github Issues, I found an article titled “Unable to resolve dns on Android 13”.

This was a DNS issue, but it was similar to what I encountered, so I decided to review the MagicDNS Nameservers settings. First, I put Google Public DNS in “Global nameservers”. However, it seemed that this alone was not enough. So next I enabled “Override local DNS” and now it works.

It’s a mystery why iOS has no problems so far, let alone macOS, but I imagine that there were minor differences in the name server settings of the OS and providers.

In any case, if you’re using MagicDNS with Tailscale, I think it’s a good idea to revisit MagicDNS settings when it seems like your internet connection is down.

I would appreciate it if you could refer to someone.