Magic DNS 'gmail.com' documentation

Hi there, loving Tailscale :heart: .

Could I suggest the documentation for magic DNS including a small note about how the special gmail.com domain is treated? They appear to get a special extra ‘gmail username’ field ( <machine>.**<gmail-username>**.gmail.com.beta.tailscale.net), but I couldn’t find anything about this in the documentation.

1 Like

We are treating this Gmail username as a domain name when we form the domain with MagicDNS. You can find more details Magic DNS - Tailscale.

I understand that now :slightly_smiling_face: . I was just recommending that help page explains the same thing, as right now it doesn’t mention the special treatment.

Perhaps a nice infobox saying "Accounts signed in using a gmail.com address treat the gmail username as the domain name. For instance, an account with the username fred@gmail.com would have the Magic DNS address of device.fred.gmail.com.beta.tailscale.net"

You’re right — missing information about gmail.com addresses is really confusing. Sorry for the wasted time it caused.

I’ve updated the Magic DNS docs to more clearly lay out how the different machine names and domain names impact the generated full domain name. We’re hoping that as we remove the restrictions around sharing, the need to know about full domain names will be eliminated too. But in the meantime, hopefully these edits make it a little more digestable.

If you have any other suggestions for our docs, I’d love to hear them!

1 Like

A perfect edit, you’ve laid it out much better than I would have thought to. I love how clean the styling of all the documentation is!

No other suggestions right now, but I’ll let you know if I think of any :smiley:

1 Like