Access Website on Subnet. Use Tailscale Subnet Router?

I’m trying to set up a Tailscale subnet router so that devices can access a website on a company’s subnet (intranet) while they’re not directly connected to the company’s subnet, smoothening the transition to working from home.

I’ve read Tailscale’s guide to creating subnet routers https://tailscale.com/kb/1019/subnets . However, being relatively junior at networking & new to Tailscale, how do i advertise a route with the domain name of the intranet website?

You’d need to do two things. First you need to make a subnet router for the IP address range, and second you need to make a DNS server that you configure to use with your domain in your Tailscale admin panel.

The first step makes your IP address range routed over Tailscale to the right place in your company’s network. The second step tells Tailscale to route the DNS traffic to your company’s domain name to a DNS server in your company’s network. For the second you will want to add a DNS server in the admin panel and then restrict it to your company’s domain with the “Restrict to search domain” option.

1 Like

Appreciate @within for your help. My mental picture at the moment:

You’d need to do two things. First you need to […] , and second you need to make a DNS server that you configure to use with your domain in your Tailscale admin panel. […] The second step tells Tailscale to route the DNS traffic to your company’s domain name to a DNS server in your company’s network. For the second you will want to add a DNS server in the admin panel and then restrict it to your company’s domain with the “Restrict to search domain” option.

When you mention “make a DNS server”, do you mean make it on the home device? Would Tailscale happen to have the functionality to create this or do I have to make it “outside” of Tailscale?

Would you, or anyone reading this, know how to identify DNS servers on a network?

Resolved. Thanks @within.