No DNS when using Exit Node

1.8.0 did not fix these issues for me

I tested an iOS device using an exit node with Magic DNS enabled it was not able to find a nameserver despite being able to ping the Tailscale 100.* addresses and my own local subnets

I observed the same on Ubuntu 20.10, I had to add --exit-node-allow-lan-access=true for DNS to work despite setting DNS servers in Tailscale UI to 1.1.1.1/8.8.8.8. Itā€™s possible Iā€™ve done something not default though as I previously had issues with Mullvad until they resolved their systemd-resolvd issues. Iā€™ll retest when I upgrade to 21.04 once the infamous shim boot issue is resolved

When did 1.8 come out for iOS? I only have 1.7.

1.8 is currently rolling out to people via the iOS App Store. We have no control of how long it will take for Apple to roll it out, however it was hiding in the updates list for me.

Oh, I was referring to the testflight beta. I never received 1.8. Strange. Sent feedback to Tailscale to find out what happened.

Ah, in that case you likely already have 1.8! Odd numbers are our development releases and even numbers are the stable ones.

Oh cool!! Thanks for the clarification. That helps a lot.

Late reply, but this was the magic I needed.

Should it be more clear in the docs that one needs to select this? Or is this just a quirk of Mac OS?

EDIT: Now thinking about it, I have a rule set up in EdgeOS to route all DNS queries from my exit nodeā€™s network to my pihole. This may be the issue I was facing without having ā€œUse Tailscale DNS settingsā€ selected.

I have the same issue now and unsure how to proceed. The issue occurs only on Windows running 1.8. Thereā€™s no DNS when connected to the exit node, even with a custom DNS and MagicDNS enabled. However, the connection with exit node works fine from Android

Out of curiosity, was using an Exit Node and DNS working prior to 1.6.0 ?

Iā€™m curious. Iā€™m having an issue with no DNS as well just in a different way on my Pixel 5 Android phone. This bad DNS behavior started recently after an update.

I think I figured out the issue.
I was trying to use my pihole as my dns server and exit node.

I found that the raspberry pi hosting pihole was using my router as the dns server. Once I changed the raspberry pi to use 127.0.0.1 as the dns server it started working.

My conclusion from this is that when you use the exit node it will use whatever dns settings your exit node has.