Tailscale Nameservers

Hello!

I was wondering that let’s say I am going to Dominican Republic from the United States, is there a way using Tailscale to think I am in the United States? Like either with nameservers or do I need the Tailscale app to use an exit node to do it?

Yes, an exit node would be what you can use for that.
If you enable one of your tailscale nodes in the US to be an exit node, then when you’re outside of the US you can set the tailscale node in your location to use the exit node in the US.
Then everything will be routed through that US tailscale node, making e.g. websites you visit think you’re coming from a US IP.

Check this out for how to setup an exit node: Exit Nodes (route all traffic) · Tailscale

Ok, so now I know that an exit node can help with that, which leads to my second question. Am I able to get nameservers for that exit node to use in Dominican Republic? I am planning to watch Netflix on my Samsung TV in the Dominican Republic and I want it to think I am at my house.

I’m not sure you need to do anything with nameservers when you use exit nodes.
Once your US based tailscale node is set up as an exit-node, then when you’re in the Dominican Republic, you go into the settings of your e.g. laptop’s tailscale-client and choose the exit-node.

Then all internet traffic of your laptop will get routed to your US tailscale node, including Netflix, meaning that Netflix will see the IP of your US tailscale node.

Once you’re done you can set the exit-node in your client to “None” again, so that internet traffic goes the normal route (i.e. with a Dominican IP).

Yeah, but the thing is, there is no Tailscale app for my Samsung TV and I want to watch Netflix in the Dominican Republic using the TV while it still thinking I am in the United States.

I see, hmm in that case you might want to get another device to use with your TV that that supports tailscale, like e.g. an Android set-top-box (e.g. NVidia Shield) or a Chromecast stick.

Or what I’ve heard people do as well is to connect a Raspberry Pi (with Tailscale on it) inbetween the TV and router.

Or you could use an OpenWRT router and install Tailscale there.

Unfortunately I’ve never done this myself, so I can’t give you concrete pointers. The easiest option would probably be to go with an Android device as mentioned above.

I believe my router does support OpenWRT, so I’ll try that. Could you please tell me how to install Tailscale with OpenWRT so I remember?

There is some official OpenWRT documentation for that here: [OpenWrt Wiki] Tailscale

BUT, I also found this article which is a bit easier on the eyes, as it also has some illustriations. It’s also from last month, so relatively current: How to Set Up Tailscale on OpenWrt in 2023 - WunderTech