Tailscale and Wireguard advice

Tailscale version 1.40.0
Your operating system & version Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Hey there,

I recently set up tailscale as a way for multiple devices to access my home-server when away from the house. I was able to get ssh working fine but noticed I couldn’t access any of my services even though tailscale could see them running on the server (admin panel → services).
After much troubleshooting I realised this was because my server accesses the internet though a previously configured wireguard setup using wg-quick. If I brought down wg0 and flushed iptables I was able to connect to my services through tailscale from my other devices with no problem.
I have been reading a bit about getting wireguard and tailscale to work together on the one server, but being a bit of a network plebeian I figured I would ask for some advice here.

Essentially I am trying to use tailscale to access the server and then route the server > internet (and back) traffic through a wireguard tunnel, the other end of which is a VPS.
This diagram illustrates what I’m trying to achieve.

I assume something like this should be possible (though I might be wrong), but I don’t quite know how to go about setting it up.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

For anyone else trying to fix this, it seems to be as simple as making sure the wg-quick service starts after tailscale – as outlined here: Tailscale & WireGuard co-existing (or: I love policy based routing!) – rakhesh.com

1 Like