Subnet Router Failover on Personal Pro plan?

I am about to setup a second subnet router (which is permitted on my plan), and it will be publishing the same routes as the existing subnet router.

Since this plan does not include ‘subnet router failover’, what should I expect the result to be?

It will, nonetheless, set one of the subnet routers to be the primary and the other to be hot standby, and failover if the primary goes offline.

Additional features are likely to be added over time to improve HA for subnet routers, like advertising routes to the rest of the network infrastructure using BGP. Those more advanced features are likely to only be active in the Business or Enterprise plans.

2 Likes

Well, that’s all I need, so this pleases me greatly. Nice Saturday surprise :slight_smile:

If I know the primary subnet router is going to down, example being I’m running the subnet router in and aws ec2 autoscaling group and I’m replacing the instance with a new instance that I’d like to become the primary subnet router, but there is a crossover period where both routers are alive.

Am I able to “notify” the tailscale control plane that I want to remove the current primary by doing something as simple as tailscale down which would trigger the existing standby to become the primary quicker than the 15sec timeout?

Would the headscale source code be a good place to look to confirm this?