Subnet router error message

Just starting with Tailscale.
Set my Win10 laptop as an exit node.
When trying to set it to a subnet router I get the following error messsge in the command line command (ran in administrator mode)
Tailscale up —advertise-routes=10.0.0.2/24

Error message:
Failed to connect to local tailscaled (which appears to be running as tailscale.exe, pid 3176). Got error:401 Unathorized: Tailscale already in use by (myComputerName//myUserName, pid 1352

My router network is 10.0,0.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Looks like tailscale is running in service mode “unattended mode” or under a different user.
Your current user seems to not have setup the unattended mode.

i had the same problem after reinstall my computer and restore the tailscale appdata-folders.
Tailscale was running in unattended mode but with a non existent SID.

I had to completely remove tailscale with all the programdata and appdata folders, than reinstall it.

I did check that the unattended mode was off.
On the admin page it says that my computer doesn’t advertise any routes.

What happens when you type

tailscale status

I see all the devices attached to tailscsale network
Next to my machine : windows idle; offers exit node

I am having similar issue, it used to working fine before the upgrade to 1.34.1

I was able to resilve this issue by doing the following.
1, remove the node from the admin console
2. unstall the software from the system
3. reboot the system
4. install the client in my case is 1.34.1
5. add subnet routers via the command : tailscale up --advertise-routes-x.x.x.0/24

you can try the following before doing the above
tailscale -up --advertise-routes=x.x.x.0/24 --reset

the setup the subnet router again after doing the reset

Thanks, I will definitely try that.
What route(s) should advertise if my router is 10.0.0.1?

I forgot to ask:
Is the fact that the machine is already an exit node keeping the subnet router from being setup maybe?

Just removed the machine, reinstalled.
I didn’t select the “Exit Node” node setting.
I get the exact same error.

try doing:

tailscale --reset

then:

Tailscale up --advertise-routes=10.0.0.0/24

Thais,
I think I know what happened, I was running the “failscale up…” command as an admin.
Just ran it as a standard user and it worked.
Thank again for your help.
My machine is set both an exit node and a subnet router.
I am no able to log into my router when I use a client on my tailscale network.
I try to login as I would if it were my machine at home but I time out, nothing on any browser. I can Ping the exit node/ subnet router but can’t see my actual hardware router. Lastly… I did check my ip on the client, it is my home ip.

What is the purpose of the exit node?

Have you approved the subnet routes from the admin console? (they won’t work until you do)

Lastly, on the client, have you set the preferences to ‘use tailscale subnets’?

I set up the exit mode because it was from the GUI
I was not able to set up my machine as a subnet router.
When I was finally able to do so, I had only the subnet router working, tried to login my hardware router from another machine on my tailscale and couldn’t, so I went to the CLI and entered the exit-node flag, now both are up and working.
The ip on the client is my machine’s ip and I can ping it and the DNS is working.
How do I go about setting the preference to use subnet routes on the other machines?

That option is selected.
I also checked “Allow local Network access” on the exit node.
I tried with and without the Exit Node.
I de died to ping my router on my client @10.0.0.1 and I got “Request timeout for icmp_seq 0 and 1 and 2 ….

I just tried to ping the machine (subnet) that is in front of my hardware router and it responds.
Basically, the network is working, I can transfer files between machines, the only thing I can’t do is see my router.

Does the admin console show that that you are routing subnets? See the above screen shot.

Also, can you be explicit, what addresses are you trying to ping on your internal network (LAN)? I assume you are trying to ping them from outside your network (IE: from an office but connected to your Tailscale Network).

Yes, I can ping the Subnet (vict…) from any client that is not on the same network but, connected to my Tailscale network (first Mac after the iPhone in the screenshot).
The admin console does show that I am both routing subnets and that I am an exit node.
I can ping each machine connected both ways, I checked my DNS on Powershell with Resolve-DnsName and it showed the correct info.
See my screenshot below.

I am not sure then. If you can ping 10.0.0.0/24 addresses from outside your network, then I don’t know why you wouldn’t be able to get to your router unless there is a function in the router that is blocking it somehow.

Yes, I can ping the Subnet (vict…) from any client that is not on the same network but, connected to my Tailscale network (first Mac after the iPhone in the screenshot).
The admin console does show that I am both routing subnets and that I am an exit node.
I can ping each machine connected both ways, I checked my DNS on Powershell with Resolve-DnsName and it showed the correct info.
See my screenshot below.