Same LAN, multiple devices. Only one can make direct connections via Tailscale

I’m trying to debug a situation in my home with Tailscale.

I have multiple nodes in the LAN that have the Tailscale daemon running, including (among others, less used):

1. My laptop (macOS)
  2. A Linux server (Debian 10)

It seems that only one of the two at a given time can connect to other nodes in my Tailscale network without going through a relay–it seems only the first one to establish a connection wins. If I try to connect to external nodes from both my laptop AND the server, one of the two goes through a relay.

I’ve been trying to debug this and I can’t figure out what the issue is. It’s something wrong within my LAN, because the remote nodes have a public IP and all firewall ports open.

My setup in the LAN is a bit complicated, because I have double NAT: because of my ISP, I essentially have two routers. One of the two is a pfSense firewall, which I know is often cause of problems with Tailscale, but I have enabled NAT-PMP.

Any suggestion on how to fix this?

It is likely that all of the nodes attempting to use NAT-PMP to open port 41641 isn’t working. You can make the nodes on the tailnet each choose a random port by setting RandomizeClientPort in Tailscale, which might help.

{
  "RandomizeClientPort": true,

"ACLs": [

@DGentry Thanks for the response.

Yesterday, just before your message, I got the assumption it had to do with a conflict on ports. So I actually changed the port tailscaled is listening on, hardcoding a new value, and then created a hard NAT rule in the inner firewall. (Sadly I have no control over the outer firewalls)

That doesn’t seem to solve the issue, however, as I’m still going through a relay.

I can’t wrap my head around this issue. From my laptop AND from my server in the LAN I can successfully make direct connections to the remote nodes on the port Tailscale is listening on:

$ nc -vu x.x.x.x 41641
Connection to x.x.x.x port 41641 [udp/*] succeeded!

If at least one of the two nodes has a port open with no firewall or NAT obstructing it, shouldn’t that make direct connections always possible?

After more fiddling with firewall ports, I was able to make it work. Still not exactly sure how, but setting static ports for tailscaled and ensuring they’re all open in all firewalls (at least those I can control) seems to have fixed it.

After rebooting the server, the problem came back.

Every other node in the network can make direct connections to the external server, which has a port open in the firewall. Except this specific server in the LAN that seem to always go through a relay. I’m not sure what else to do.

Here’s some commands I’ve tried running.

From the remote server (atlas), which is able to accept direct connections on port 31253. The port is open on the firewall.

user@atlas$ tailscale netcheck
Report:
	* UDP: true
	* IPv4: yes, X.X.X.X:32842
	* IPv6: no
	* MappingVariesByDestIP: false
	* HairPinning: false
	* PortMapping:
	* Nearest DERP: Frankfurt
	* DERP latency:
		- fra: 22.1ms  (Frankfurt)
		- lhr: 31.8ms  (London)
		- nyc: 107.9ms (New York City)
		- ord: 126.2ms (Chicago)
		- dfw: 137.8ms (Dallas)
		- sfo: 167.7ms (San Francisco)
		- sin: 169.2ms (Singapore)
		- sea: 172.1ms (Seattle)
		- tok: 225ms   (Tokyo)
		- sao: 233.5ms (São Paulo)
		- blr: 262.5ms (Bangalore)
		- syd: 283.7ms (Sydney)

user@atlas:~$ tailscale status
100.1.0.1 atlas                user@  linux   -
100.2.0.1  accesspi             user@  linux   active; direct <public_ip_X>:29679
100.2.0.2    macbook-pro user@  macOS   active; direct <public_ip_X>:42676, tx 1378736 rx 566980
100.2.0.3    truffle              user@  linux   active; relay "sin", tx 22612 rx 13564

In the LAN, I have 3 nodes currently connected to Tailscale, as you can see above:

• “accesspi” is a Raspberry Pi, running Rasperry Pi OS “bullseye”.
  • “macbook-pro” is my laptop, running macOS
  • “truffle” is the server on the local LAN, running Debian 11

All the 3 nodes above have the same external public IP (<public_ip_X> is the same).

The remote server, atlas, can connect to all 3 of them, but for some reason connections to truffle seem to always go through a relay (usually “fra” or “sea”, this time “sin”!)

The LAN I’m in right now is a “difficult network”, with double NAT. The “inner” firewall is a pfSense box, and then my ISP is putting me behind another NAT (sadly, my only option here is T-Mobile Home Internet).

To make things easier, I configured truffle to use Tailscale on a fixed port, and then I opened that port in the pfSense firewall, creating a 1:1 NAT. I’m still behind one NAT, but at least it shouldn’t be double-NAT’d. Yet, I’m stuck with using a relay.

This is really odd and at this point I can’t explain it. If the remote node has no firewall at all, why am I not able to establish a direct connection to that from all nodes in my LAN?

i think i’m having the same issue. were you able to figure out a solution?

One cause of this behavior where only a single node can make direct connections is NAT-PMP/UPnP/etc, if they are fighting over port 41641. If that is the case, there are two ways to resolve it:

• tailscaled takes a --port=N argument. Setting each node to use a port other than the default 41641 would likely allow both of them to get NAT-PMP entries simultaneously.
  • in https://login.tailscale.com/admin/acls one can add a setting which tells all devices on the tailnet to choose a random port and not use 41641:
{
"RandomizeClientPort": true,
"ACLs": [

Yes I was able to figure out a solution, although it is sometimes flaky (if the tailscaled daemons are restarted, sometimes they fall back to using a gateway).

I “solved” it by making sure that the remote node could accept direct connections from the Internet. It’s set to a port different from 41641 (changed by editing the tailscaled config file), and that port is open in every firewall so it can accept connections from the Internet.

On this side I still have double NAT.