Noob needs help with Synology backup

Hey there :slight_smile:
I just installed Tailscale for the 1st time and I need a little help to begin my journey.

I installed Tailscale 1.22.2 on a Synology NAS running DSM7.1 at work (internal network, can access the internet but cannot be accessed from outside). I’d like to use this NAS as a target for backups (let’s call this one the target NAS). I thought this would not be possible since this network should not be accessible from the outside but I’m not familiar with that kind of things (VPNs, etc…) and I was happy to see that Tailscale lists my NAS as “connected” in my list of machines, on my account.

I installed Tailscale 1.22.2 on a Synology NAS running DSM6.2.4 at home (again, it should be difficult to access devices behind my router without tinkering with the settings). I’d like to backup the data stored on my NAS at home (let’s call this one the source NAS) onto my NAS at work. I was also happy to see that Tailscale lists my NAS at home as “connected” in my list of machines, on my account.

Now, I logged into the source NAS and launched Synology Hyper Backup. I tried to setup a backup task using the Tailscale IP of the target NAS as the target IP. Unfortunately, (after entering my credentials) the task creation wizard tells me it cannot connect to the target NAS.

Am I doing something wrong or is it technically impossible to achieve what I’m trying to do?

Thank you very much in advance for your help, advice and whatever form of feedback you could provide.

Best,
-a-

PS: the source NAS could be upgraded to DSM7.1 if this would help in any way…

@callumw