Jellyfin Server

I just started using tailsscale , I want to get away from ngrok.
So far it seems to work as expected, except for Jellyfin server.
Jellyfin server is installed on Windows 10, I can access it with ngrok, but not tailscale. I can access a different server through tailscale and ngrok on the same Windows computer.

Any thoughts on what’s wrong, and/or how to diagnose it?

Is Jellyfin only listening on 127.0.0.1? Tailscale currently won’t let you connect to a service that’s only listening on localhost.

We have "Export localhost" option? · Issue #1121 · tailscale/tailscale · GitHub open to add a feature to let you do that.

The Jellyfin web interface is on localhost:8096, and also 192.168.0.10:8096.

I currently have a program that uses port 8888, and it works fine.

I normally use Jellyfin within a Linux VM, where I can access it on its Tailscale interface.

I installed Jellyfin on a Windows 10 system, though I haven’t gotten it to create a server yet (not sure why). However one thing stuck out while it was starting up:

[15:57:27] [INF] [4] Jellyfin.Networking.Manager.NetworkManager: Defined LAN addresses : [127.0.0.1/8,10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/12,192.168.0.0/16]

It appears to limit the IP addresses it will respond to, just localhost and the RFC1918 space.

If this looks familiar as a configuration option somewhere, adding 100.64.0.0/10 will let it treat Tailscale addresses in the same way that it does a local LAN, and may resolve the issue.

I will try it.
I am away right now, I have to use vnc to my computer.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will follow up and post the results.

I couldn’t find a simple way of adding the tailscale range to the Jellyfin configuration.
However, the new versions seem to have fixed the problem. also fixed the Magic DNS android issue I was having.

In case anyone else has the same issue, @DGentry’s idea was correct. Under the networking tab in the jellyfin (version 10.7.7) dashboard, there’s a “LAN networks” field. Adding the default lan ip/netmasks plus one for tailscale addresses fixed the issue for me:

127.0.0.1/8, 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16, 100.64.0.0/10

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Do you know how this can be configured through the config files? I’m only able to access through tailscale via ssh and tailscale is not advertising the server through the tailscaile IP, so I can’t get to the web administration screen.

The solution of adding 100.64.0.0/10 is not working for me.

My clients are in the same tailnet and I am able to access services other than Jellyfin using tailscale - for instance, from one of my phone tailscale clients I am able to access Portainter running on my Debian server, yet Jellyfin is a no-go.

Any ideas?