Installing Tailscale on an IP Phone

Hi,

I’ve set up a freepbx set up to use with my landline in my hone and I use it regularly with Tailscale, on iOS and Android, as my ISP has closed off all my ports. Works great on my mobile phone.

I’d like to know if anyone has tried to install Tailscale on a Grandstream GXP1625 IP Phone and used. If yes, please help me out here and tell me how you did it. I have been looking all over the internet for a solution but I can’t find a straightforward solution, other than “hacking” into the phone to attain root ssh access.

Someone please help.

I am not sure if you found the answer to your question, so it looks that it can be done as long as there is a computer/server in your local network which has Tailscale installed, from there, you can create a " Subnet routers and traffic relay nodes" which will allowed legacy devices to integrate with tailscale. Here is the official explanation and guide. I have not tried it yet myself, but had the same question because I wanted to connect my IP phones via vpn, do let me know if it works for you.

Good luck

HotJulia

Hi,

Your response is much appreciated.

I figured it out and is now actively working in 2 different countries, connected to a single PBX system, with 0 issues, from the past ~9months. But since you’re trying to do the same, I’ll tell you how exactly I did it.

As to your suggestion, subnets are amazing but it won’t do the trick here as the IP Phones have to reach the server and not the other way around.

After at least, a month’s research, here’s what I did.

I bought a cheap and high performing router called Mi 4A Gigabit Edition. I chose this particular router because it has 128MB of RAM. Previously, I tried a lower-end version of this router with 64MB of RAM and it worked perfectly well on local networks but once I installed the same lower-end router in the other country, 98% of the packets were dropped. So 128MB RAM Router is the minimum requirement.

Keep in mind, I have tailscale already installed on my PBX Server, running FreePBX.

Now what I did was, I flashed the Mi router with OpenWrt’s Firmware using this guide. You can also refer to this video.

Once flashed, SSH into the router and do opkg update and opkg install tailscale. It should take a couple of minutes but once installed, run tailscale up and login to tailscale from your browser.

Once all that’s done, hook your IP Phone to this router and enter the PBX’s IP Address. If tailscale is not installed on the PBX System, use a similar router and with subnets enabled and you should know the rest.

At this moment, we have a network of 12 IP Phones and Phone Gateways, placed in 2 different countries, in 2 separate locations, in each country, all connected to a singular Phone System using, Tailscale.

Keep in mind, our limits are at the hieght of our imaginations so If you have any further queries, feel free to type it here and I’ll be sure to help.

Regards

Hi,
Have you tested the maximum bandwidth on your system while using Tailscale on the Mi 4A Gigabit Edition router with OpenWrt?

I’m planning on buying the same router and running the same setup and was wondering if the CPU on that router with Tailscale and OpenWrt can saturate a 50-60mb/s symmetrical connection?