Android log location?

Hi,

I was recently traveling and hoping to rely on Tailscale for a consistent tunnel to my home network. However, I experienced a lot of connectivity issues across various wifi networks, the cell network, and maybe hopping between APs on the same wifi network. It was very hard to understand why I was experiencing these issues – some of which might have been DNS related (to this issue: Tailscale breaks DNS-over-TLS on Android · Issue #915 · tailscale/tailscale · GitHub).

Each time I had a problem, I just wished I knew how to view any kind of connection or debug log so I could attempt to work through it.

Can someone please tell me how I can view client logs on Android?

Thank you!

The most recent logs can be seen using adb:
adb logcat -s "com.tailscale.ipn:*"

Thank you!

Is there any plan to possibly add a “View Log” window to the app – similar to OpenVPN Connect which just tails the log for you in a window on the device?

I ask because – when on vacation traveling without a laptop – one cannot run adb. The extent that you can troubleshoot an issue using only their phone is quite limited, as Tailscale simply claims it is “connected” in the notification – even when it actually is not – and no further diagnostics can been gleaned.

If you would like, you can add a feature reuquest here: Issues · tailscale/tailscale · GitHub

I can see how that would be useful. Having an FR for it, will let other people comment and help to prioritize the work for us.